One of Our Recent Events
The African Alliance of Rhode Island Youth Committee hosted it’s first annual Jollof Rice Competition on April 28, 2018. This events hosted restaurants and individuals from across West Africa to decide once and for all which country makes the best jollof!
The event was hosted in two parts:
The Restaurant competition and the Individuals contest. Members of the community were able to taste and enjoy jollof from all over West Africa and cast their vote for the best jollof in New England.
We encourage the community to come out for this event again in 2019.
- Join AARI at the Armory Farmer’s Market May 30-Oct 25, 3:30-7pm
- Bami Farm Johnston opens- on the farm Sat June 02, 9 -10 am
- Armory Farmer’s Market- AARI Cultural Fusion- Cooking Demo Th August 23, 3:30-6pm
- Pop-up Market – Friday, August 3, near the entrance to Roger Williams Park (Corner of Broad St & Miller Ave )
- Pop-up Market – Friday, Sept 14, Davey Lopes Recreation Center (Corner of Prairie Ave & Dudley St)
- 13th Annual African Health Summit Sept 15, 2018 10-2pm
- Pop-up Market – Friday, Oct 19, Columbus Square (Corner of Reservoir Av & Elmwood Ave)
- Health project a Pilot: Blood Pressure screening check at Barber shop etc
- Food as Medicine- June date to be announced
- Food Voices- Series of conversations/workshop on Food System in the minority communities- on-going
- Board Development – Funded by Island Foundation- June date to be announced.
- Grow your own Food- Providence Housing Authority & other locations- on-going
- 21 Day Racial Equity Challenge, April 12, 5-8 pm
- Sponsor of the Rhode Island Black Film Festival ,April 14-16
- Jollof Cookoff, April 28, 1-4 pm
- Nakeia Metcalf, Maharam Fellowship from RISD arrives at AARI 5/28
- Julia Nemy: UNH Fellow arrives at AARI June 04